- Dress accordingly (wear socks and shoes).
- Drink plenty of fluids including water and non-caffeinated drinks.
- Eat & drink foods which contain Vitamin C & D. (According to Al Sears MD, we lack Vitamin D in winter months due to less exposure to sunshine. He goes on to say that cod liver oil is one good source of Vitamin D. Cod liver oil comes from Norway and contains no mercury.)
- Blow your nose, cover your mouth, and wash your hands frequently.
- Rest, Rest, and Rest some more.
- Check your temperature. Buy an easy to read digital thermometer, and keep it at home.
- Take a steamy shower which can help moisturize nasal passages. A humidifier can prevent the air in the room from drying out.
- Try Ginger Ale to help with nausea.
By Mary Jo Artz RN, BSN, Case Manager